Sunday, January 03, 2010

End of Series

Dear Friends,

The previous post concludes the Thar Incident series. For over a year now I have struggled with how to proceed with this story, and now I think it is best left the way it is.

I hope you enjoyed it.

I would like to present a new story - which is inpsired by Neill Blonkamp's work in District 9 and in his short clips Tetravaal and Yellow. I have also become quite enamoured with Anurag Kashyap and S. Hussain Zaidi's work in Black Friday so you will likely see shadows of that in there also.

The new series will be called "Yantrixa" (pronounced Yun-trix-sha) - a new word formed by the contraction of "Yantra" and "Antrixa" which I define to mean the "the universe of machines". I hope that this new series will speak to a number of topical issues.

The style of presentation for "Yantrixa" will be different from the style used for the Thar Incident. "Yantrixa" will be presented as a journal - a living story by a narrator who is also a participant in the story. This breaks with the third person narrative commonly used in Indian story telling and is more in line with the emerging trends in twitter (and other texting) based novels that are steadily making their presence felt on the literary scene.

Here is hoping for the best,

A. S.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anand K said...

Boss!
You wouldn't believe how many times in the last 2-3 years I visited this blog to see if there was an update.

Sad to see the old thread has been discontinued. I think you felt that it's very difficult to keep away the space opera aspect and put the focus on tech proliferation and impact on governments, power structures and human society. Perhaps the ancient astronaut thingie has been too mangled by others in the past....

Yet I would have loved to see how it unraveled. Anyway, here's to the old thread and to the new one. "The Phantom is dead. Long live the Phantom!"

10:04 PM  
Blogger Anand K said...

Coincidence!
I watched District 9 yesterday and was struck by the fresh take on aliens.

Well, the theme of destitute aliens and hidden tech is not exactly new.... there was the mediocre "Alien Nation" TV series and I vaguely remember this particular short story I read in school. (It was about a scientist killing the sister of the POTUS to draw him to his family estate and then kidnap him. Turns out he had stumbled on an alien conspiracy and wanted the Prez to confess. The answer wasn't what the scientist expected though..... )

More later.

10:12 PM  
Blogger maverick said...

Hello Anand K,

Thank you for your support.

I was stuck on how to end this "Thar Incident" series. I wasn't interested in a soap opera, but just fleshing out what I felt would be key trends in the response to such an event in India.

I went through a lot of material in the US science fiction on first contact issues, and I felt there would a remarkable difference in the way Indians would handle the same issues and I wanted to bring that out.

District 9 - is spectacular. I have seen some of Neill's interviews and I don't think even he appreciates fully what he has done. He has basically laid bare the innards of every major humanitarian crisis we have seen in the world. His grasp of issues in the new South Africa is also stunning.

Actually the sequence in the MNU lab is filmed at Armscor's now defunct Advena facilty.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home